Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 0 -- The Knee Is Replaced, Part 1

Thursday, January 29
Up at 4:20 A.M. and no coffee for me, or even any water. Jack had time for one cup of coffee. We got to the waiting room at 5:00 and sat with other people having surgery today. When I checked in the receptionist said, "Your doctor says you'll need a wheelchair to get to Pre-Op. Be sure to tell the attendant." I told her I could probably make it using my cane but she said it's a long walk. It turns out it's close to a quarter of a mile.

At about 5:20 we all leave the first waiting room and head for the surgery waiting area -- led by me getting pushed in the wheelchair. There are about 9 or 10 patients and another dozen friends and family. The receptionist was right, it's a long walk.

The surgery waiting room is busy and cheery. Lots of nurses and technical people come to me with questions and forms to sign. After I got changed into my gown they paged Jack and he came in to sit with me.

A lady from the chaplain's office appeared to see if I was Catholic and wanted a priest; if not then perhaps a representative from some other religion? The anesthesiologist, an Osteopath, (why are there M.D.s and D.O.s and what's the difference?, that's something to Wiki about someday) stops by to explain what's going to happen. He's the tenth person this morning to ask me when I last had anything to eat or drink.

The anesthesiologist's P.A. came by with a student/intern around 6:45 and they prepped me for the nerve blocker. I would get a light dose of sedation while they found some nerves in the front and back of my upper thigh. These nerves -- serving the area around the knee -- would get flooded with pain killer during surgery and for the next three or four days. This reduces the amount of morphine I'll need after the operation. At this point Jack headed for home and a nap I hope.

As I started to fall asleep somebody told me my surgery was scheduled for 8:00 and I would just stay under after the nerve block installation. When I woke up the surgery was over. I was in the recovery room being told to take deep breaths. I was thirsty, hungry and high as a kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment