Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Joined a Health Club

Yesterday it had been a week since my last physical therapy session and I was feel creaky. I went to the local gym and joined up. The deal was if I paid for a full year they would give me three extra months free, plus no membership fee and they wouldn't charge me the annual $25.00 "Facilities Improvement Addendum."

It came to about $28.50 per month for 15 months. Best of all it's only a mile away from home.

I told my salesman that for the first couple of months I wanted to simply continue my physical therapy exercises. If it turns out I am having a good experience I will add other exercises, but for now it will be my prescribed knee and leg work out. He was pleasant and bright and appeared to understand what I needed and wanted. He also introduced me to one of the trainers. We chatted and he was someone I could work with. Later on. Months from now.

I went there this afternoon to ride the bike and do some gentle knee exercises. At 2:00 P.M. the place was nearly deserted. Good sign.

Before I could begin I had to sit through a long and pointless lecture on the value of exercise by one of their "personal trainers." He was not the person I met yesterday and with whom I was planning to speak today. This guy was going to custom-design my workout. Based not on what I asked for but on what he wanted me to do -- in light of my physical condition and his goals. He refused to listen to anything I told him.

I agree right now I am fat and out of shape: I have been disabled for the past four years and have not done much exercise. But I am not lazy and stupid. And that's how he made me feel.

I told him several times that right now I am not ready for a "total fitness," and massive weight loss, program. However much I may need one. Get serious, in a month I'll be 67 years old and need to get back in the habit of going to the gym three times a week and working up a sweat. To get in the habit I will need to enjoy the sessions at the gym.

Finally I invoked the three-day cancellation clause in the purchase contract. He then angrily said I could do whatever I wanted to. He left the gym, got in his truck and drove off.

The personal trainers apparently are subcontractors and do not work directly for the owner of the gym. Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment