Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pre-medicating for dental work

Today I had my first dentistry since the knee replacement -- a teeth cleaning. And it was way overdue.

Since the cleaning can insert bacteria into the bloodstream, the knee surgeon prescribed Cephalexin to prevent any possibility of infecting the left knee. I had to take 4-500mg capsules one hour before the cleaning. That's a huge dose of a nasty antibiotic.

The cleaning went well but some decay was spotted heading toward the center of a tooth. So I need a root canal and a new crown in a couple of weeks. For this procedure the dentist prescribed a different antibiotic, Clindamycin, and I am to take it three times a day for ten days starting five days before the root canal appointment.

I checked with the knee surgeon's triage nurse and she has no problem with me doing what the dentist advised.

No comments:

Post a Comment