Monday, November 16, 2009

Ultrasound adventure

At 3:15 PM I arrived at the huge local medical center's cardiac testing facility and soon got ready for an ultra sound on my right leg. It was very uncomfortable, all the pressing on sore leg muscles. She tells me I have a blood clot down my leg from upper thigh to my foot. A doctor needs to examine me. Right now. I can sit up and get in a wheel chair. And that's all. No, I cannot go to my car and get a book, cell phone or iPod. I get wheeled to the emergency room at 4:00.

They are very busy. Lots of accidents today. There are no rooms available. At 6:45 I am on a gurney in the ER hallway by the nurse's station.

At 8:00 PM an MD comes by and tells me I have DVT -- Deep Vein Thrombosis. I need to take blood thinners to help disolve the clot and not let bits of it crash around inside my body.

The final result: I can go home if I can give myself a Lovenox injection. Or they will admit me to the hospital for the night while I learn how to do it. With doctor and nurses watching closely I give myself the shot, in the lower belly, and at 9:00 PM I am driving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment