Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Stress EKG

Got a call yesterday afternoon offering me the chance to reschedule so I went in earlier than originally planed. No food or water after midnight. No coffee either. Got there at 9:30 A.M. for my 10:00 procedure. They let me sit until 10:10.

There were five steps in my test and each was done by a different, highly trained (and highly paid I'm sure) nurse or tech. My MD ordered an chemical stress instead of the treadmill. The treadmill would have been better. The chemical is a strong vasodilator. Lots of heavy breathing and room spinning for a few minutes. Also at the same time an injection of something radioactive so they can track the flow, or not, of blood in and out of the heart. Had to wait 45 minutes before pictures could be taken. At this point I got some coffee.

When waiting time was up I got into a machine and had to lay there for a long time while huge radiation sensors recorded my blood flow. I wasn't told how long it would take and I was in an uncomfortable position. Finally it was over and I got out of there at 12:30 P.M.

As I was about to leave somebody rememberede to tell me to come back at 8:00 tomorrow morning for a retest.

I felt strange, I believe from all the injections of weird chemicals. Rested the balance of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment