Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Cataract Is Gone!

After a quick shower early in the morning I got Jack up, gave him a cup of coffee (no coffee for me) and we left the house at 8:00 A.M. -- no food or drink for me after midnight. We got to the out-patient check in and I was heading for pre-op procedures by 8:40.

Lots of different RNs and Techs poking me with sharp things and squrting stuff in my right eye. And all of them asking me the same questions over and over -- hospital rules -- and for very good reasons I bet.

Just before 10:00 they wheeled me into the OR and got me settled in. A nice touch, although the surgeon needs the patient somewhat conscious during the event, when there are particularly ugly things about to happen they turn up the sedation and you conk out momentarily. So I have no memory of needles in uncomfortable places or eyelid clamps etc. What I remember most were the wild, vivid colors during the entire operation. By 10:40 I was done and they were getting me ready for the recovery room and some water to drink at last.

I knew I needed to see the doctor at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I thought it was to get the bandages removed. But when I was awake and ready to leave they tell me I have a 1:00 P.M. appointment today at the doctor's office. And I still need to see the doctor at 7:30 tomorrow morning.

Today's appointment was to remove the bandages, check my eye pressure and instruct me about eye drops and what not to do today. Also, how and when to use the eye patch/shield they gave me.

At home the rest of the day was spent mostly lying down in a darkened room, listening to the iPod and eating the chicken soup I made yesterday. That was a good idea.

There is very little discomfort. The eye itself has no pain. The eyelids are sore and feel scratchy. And one of the eye drops stings them, a lot. I have two eye drops and take them every hour -- five minutes apart. I have made a chart so I know if and when I took them last.

No comments:

Post a Comment