Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Day After

Today's appointment was at 7:30 A.M., less than 24 hours after the surgery. The tech took my pressure and gave me a new schedule of eye drops. There's a third one now. It was all written out for me and I was happy about that because one of the drops I take once a day; another, four times a day; and the other, six times a day.

I also got a pair of huge, clunky wrap-around dark glasses. Big enough to wear over my regular glasses. I left my regular glasses with them to have a plain glass lens to replace the prescription lens for my right eye.

At long last the doctor arrived and told me he had done a beautiful job and everything looked great. I asked him when I would be able to drive, expecting a week, and he said, "today," as soon as you want to.

So after lunch, about 27 hours after the surgery, I drove into town and made four stops, including a quick shop at the supermarket. No problems.

I made another chart (this one's an Excel spreadsheet) to keep track of when to take my eye drops. I see the doctor again in one week, and then three weeks later.

The vision in the right eye is much better than it was. Full recovery may take several weeks. My left eye is already good and the right eye will be even better soon so I won't need corrective lenses for driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment