Monday, April 13, 2009

Eight days after surgery

Friday, February 6, 2009

It was a quiet night and I got some much needed sleep -- no fire alarms, no roomie, no loud nursing staff. I have gotten used to sleeping with the leg brace on. Early on I learned to lock it in the extended (straight) position, otherwise I get into some uncomfortable positions in my sleep and wake up with a jolt. During the day, for ease of moving around I can unlock it at the knee joint so it can bend.

My morning P.T. session was serious. Between the two of us my knee bent back as far as it could. About 78 degrees if I recall correctly. Afterwards I walked all the way back to my room -- with a walker of course (and with the therapist walking behind me with a wheelchair).

While I was away from my room a new roommate had arrived. He was such a jerk and in such medical agony I had to feel sorry for him. Though it became clear that his being such a jerk contributed a lot to his medical problems. Sometimes you just have to back off and do what the doctor tells you to do.

I spoke with the home care folks by phone and they had spoken with the social worker here at the rehab place. They are ready to send me home tomorrow afternoon. Some of the home care equipment is provided by the insurance. The tub/shower transfer seat isn't provided and I'll have to pay $95 for it, but it sounds essential. It will let me sit upright in the tub and take a shower with the hand-held shower head. All of the equipment will be delivered to the house.

The home care people will call me at home over the weekend to set up initial appointments for Monday and Tuesday. Apparently I need to see a nurse and two different therapists.

No comments:

Post a Comment