Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Three weeks after surgery

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The occupational therapist visited on Friday and Wednesday. We talked about how to take a shower when sitting on the tub bench, how to do the laundry and how to improve the arrangement of the clothes closet. She's finished with me now and I signed her off.

The physical therapist came by on Monday and her boss on Wednesday. They both say I am making decent progress but there isn't much more either they or I can do until I get the brace off. And that may be several more weeks.

On Tuesday we had an outing in the car. Jack drove us down to the bay and we had lunch at the Scenic 90 Cafe. I got in and out of the car ok and managed to get in and out of the restaurant using my walker. It was a nice taste of freedom.

Later in the day I was sore from all the exercise. I am so out of shape! Just getting in and out of the car makes me feel it.

I was supposed to have my teeth cleaned today but I cancelled. I cannot have any dental work for six weeks after the surgery and then I have to take antibiotics either before or after, depending on which medical or dental professional you ask.

This week I had my first (sitting) shower using the tub bench. To get me situated in the tub I had to swing my bad leg up and over the edge of the tub while turning sideways to get to the center of the bench. I wasn't ready to do this with the leg brace off so I used a large black garbage bag tied with a shoelace to keep the brace dry. I also have a open bed sore on the left heel and I need to keep that clean and out of the bath water. The shower went very well. With the hand-held shower head I could get clean all over and it is sure better than a sponge bath. Jack helped me get in and out of the tub safely. I can't wait until I can take a standing shower in a few weeks.

On Wednesday we went to Joan & Billy's for lunch. Southern-style veggies and corn pones. Wonderful. As always.

On Thursday we had breakfast at the Village Inn. It is very accessible for people on walkers.

So I got out of the house three days in a row. I took Friday off and rested.

No comments:

Post a Comment