Monday, April 13, 2009

Nine days after surgery

Saturday, February 7, 2009

The rehab place was very noisy last night. Somebody down the hall kept yelling, "Please help me they are trying to kill me." This got a couple of others yelling to the nurse with their own urgent problems. Finally I heard a nurse tell them all, "You are not at home. There are other people here and they deserve to get some sleep."

This hadn't happened even once the other nights so I asked my nurse if it was a full moon tonight. She said it's always a full moon around here.

Today I can go home as soon as I have transportation. I wasn't sure I could get into the front seat of a compact car so I asked the nurse to get me some special transport to get me home. First the driver was coming at 10:30 then it got later and later. At last he arrived at 1:30 and it was the same guy with a van who brought me here from the hospital. I was able to slide into the wide back seat and sit sideways all the way home.

As I left the nurse gave me the rest of the blood thinner in its syringes (five more days worth) and lots of painkillers.

It was wonderful to be home and Jack had readied it by stocking lots of food and taking up all the area rugs. I managed to get around the house on my walker and easily got in and out of bed. The bathroom wasn't as easy but -- and this is important -- it was possible.

At dinner time Kim came by with pot roast and apple pie and Bill brought some fish he had caught yesterday and some huge Gulf shrimp, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment