Sunday, April 12, 2009

One week after surgery

Thursday, February 5, 2009

This all began one week ago today and now I can get out of bed and go to the bathroom unsupervised. Actually I have for the past 3 days but they didn't know about it. Lucky for me I didn't slip and fall. And with all the Vicodin I am taking it's a miracle.

It was very cold in Pensacola last night. The coastal areas, generally the warmest, got down to 27 degrees and it was much colder in the inland parts of the county.

Lots of excitement during the night. At 4:00 A.M. the fire alarms went off and from my room I could see firetrucks and an ambulance arrive at the front entrance. And then at 7:30 it happened again. The first time was for somebody who needed to go to the hospital. The second time was because of frozen pipes that cause low pressure reading in the sprinkler system.

I got up tired from sleeping poorly and the noise from the alarms. Also I was feeling sore from yesterday's P.T.

My roommate left right after breakfast. He's a sad case. Very poor and not very bright. By walking out on this followup care he will probably be refused home care and other post-op benefits. I hope he won't end up in some dreary VA hospital

Early today the therapist gave me another good workout and during it I spoke with a representative of the Medicare-approved home care company assigned to me. They will provide me with nursing and therapy staff for four or five weeks after I get back home. They will also provide me with and/or assist me in purchasing some equipment I'll need for my first days (or maybe weeks?) at home.

By the way, here's a link to Medicare.

I haven't felt up to much of a shower recently and my hair was a mess. So I made an appointment and got a shampoo from the resident beautician -- $4.00 (plus I gave her a $2.00 tip). Wow, I felt a lot better. And I wheeled myself all the way from my room to the other end of this place. What freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment