Saturday, April 18, 2009

Seven weeks after surgery

Thursday, March 19, 2009

On Friday the P.T. supervisor visited me and said the progress looked good. The following Monday the original physical therapist came by and told me if the brace is off it is time for me to be more mobile. She called my surgeon's office and spoke with the surgeon's nurse. His nurse checked my file and came back in a few minutes to say I can advance to full weight-bearing on my left leg, stop using the walker and try walking without even the cane. And I can try driving if enough time has passed since the last prescription painkiller (four to six hours).

Tuesday, March 17, St. Patrick's Day, we drove to Commander's Palace in Destin for lunch. It's 55 miles each way. I did some of the driving to give me a chance at driving on city streets, freeways and country roads. I had no problems and getting in and out of the car on the driver's side. It's easier for me than on the passenger's side. It was my first "long" drive and although I was stiff and a little lame when we got there it soon passed as I walked around.

Wednesday I got lots more P.T. than usual and this time I was sore before dark. And more so the next couple of days. Back to the Vicodin for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment